Welcome to CastleWaller.com. This site is devoted to Castle Waller outside Newport, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
We are attempting to document as much of the history of the castle, its surrounding lands, and the people who inhabited them as possible.
We hope that you enjoy this site and visit it often.
From written report to Sir Charles Waller, 6th Bt., 1898:
“According to documents in the Public Record office, Richard [Waller, pictured] was in Col. Sir Hardress Waller’s Regiment under Captain Willson. A claim by him for unpaid service in the army between Dec. 31, 1649 and July 13, 1651 amounting to ₤6, 2, 8 ¾ is preserved in said Record Office. When the forfeited lands were being distributed he received in year 1666 a certificate for his portion. The record also show that land in Killosary, Co. Dublin were transferred to him by Alexander Staples. By these entries we learn that only a part of his landed property came to him through bequest of his parents.”
These records were destroyed in the Irish Revolution. About 200 family manuscripts from the 1650s to early 1900s survived the Irish Revolution because they were shipped to the United States with Sir William Edgar Waller, 7th Bt., in 1912.
While family tradition says that Lt. Richard Waller was a relative by marriage to Gen. William Waller and took his father-in-law’s surname for political reasons during the Cromwell period, no reliable documentary evidence exists to support the claim.
However, the connection is a mystery. Richard Waller’s coat of arms does not bear the Waller heraldry, but the blue-and-gold checky of the Warenne family.
Lt. Richard Waller obtained the castle as a form of payment for his military service under Cromwell, but he lived in Limerick, not at the estate. His son, Richard Waller II (pictured), continued with the repairs and renovations and ultimately made the castle his residence. The following was written in a family history report for Sir Charles Waller, 6th Bt., in 1898:
“He [Richard II] appears to have been the first of his name to occupy the castle acquired by his father. A provision in his father’s will indicates that this Richard held a portion of the castle land on a lease from his father up to the time of the latter’s death and afterward from his mother during her life and finally became sole possessor of the castle and land. It is not known to the writer whether or not Richard occupied the castle as a permanent place of abode while his parents were living but there is no doubt that he eventually lived within its walls and died there and was buried in the church of Kilnarath nearby.”
(Report and 19th century photograph of the early 18th century painting of Richard Waller II are from the collection of J. Michael Waller.)
Taken from a letter by John O’Donovan, Nenagh, Oct. 12, 1840
“On the townland of Cully otherwise Castle Waller there is an old castle said to have been built by the O’Mubrians (now Ryans) and now inhabited by the Wallers whose family have been in possession of it since the time of Cromwell.
“The original part of it measures 38 ft. from E. to S.W. and 32 ft. 6 in. from N. to S. The walls are 6 ft. 4 in. in thickness and about 50 feet in height and constructed of mountain grit.
“All the windows appear to have been modernized and much enlarged, and the original stair case which led to the top in a round tower at the S.W. corner has been destroyed and a wooden one put in its place.
“The original doorway which is constructed of cut lime stone in the pointed style is now stopped up and a modern one broken on it in the S. side.”
(19th century copy of original letter is in collection of J. Michael Waller)
Castle Waller was abandoned after a fire in the 1890s. The following is a first-person description of the castle written in 1897 for a genealogical report written for Sir Charles Waller, 6th Bt., in 1898.
“. . . located about seven statute miles east of the Shannon and about one and a half miles east of the town of Newport. About 550 feet south of the castle is the small river, a stream running westward and emptying into the Mulkear river at Newport. The Mulkear runs westerly and empties into the river Shannon.
“Although in partial ruin the castle was in a sufficient state of preservation to permit the occupation of a part of it by a farmer and his family. It presents a wild and picturesque appearance as it stands surrounded by a growth of stalwart trees. That beautiful enemy of feudal architecture, the ivy vine, aided by the humid air is rapidly destroying this monument commemorative of a very eventful era in the migration of the family.”
The colorized photograph was taken during the 1897 visit and was included in the genealogical report. Note the cow in the foreground. It is unclear from the photo whether the stone cottage was constructed at the time.